Tuesday, June 13, 2017

 F A N G I R L - by Rainbow Rowell
Fantasy. Mystery. Thriller. Horror. Epic Novels that exist in worlds very distant from our own. These are the worlds I LOVE to lose myself in, it's the genres I tend to stray towards when I'm looking for a new book to read. But we can't always exist in these worlds - and after reading a full series set in these worlds I find I need to give myself a break. I'd just finished reading the first installment in 'The Dark Artificies' series; Lady Midnight (which I plan on doing a review on in the near future once I've read the whole series), and I have yet to procure my copy of the next installment Lord of Shadows. 

As I've mentioned before, having a best friend who is as into reading as I am is great because she's always giving me books to borrow and just a week before finishing Lady Midnight she'd given me Fangirl to read as a sort of 'palate cleanser' if you will. 
It's a classic teen, kinda-coming-of-age story about Cath, who's just started college with her twin sister Wren. Cath and Wren are about as different as twins can be which has never been a problem because they were always joined at the hip (as twins are); until College that is. 

I could easily read this book over and over, it is super easy to read and I know that if I plopped myself down in front of the fire or heater with a cup of steaming coffee, or took it down to the beach while I tanned, I could finish it quite easily in one sitting. I saw a lot of myself if both Cath and Wren. Wren is the social butterfly, parties, new friends, booze; the College Experience. That was definitely a bit of me when I was in University. But at the same time a see a lot of myself in Cath. Social anxiety, introverted. Writes Fan Fiction (about a character called Simon Snow who is so very loosely based off Harry Potter which makes me love the book even more), lives in her head a lot. A home body.
Fangirl made me feel like I was 17 again. Getting excited for Cath when new boys immerge on the scene. Laughing at Reagan, Cath's roommate, who is the sassy, take-no-shit friend we all wish we had. Falling in love with Levi, the love interest, who is exactly the kind of unintentionally cool but secretly dorky guy who would steal my heart. I loved everything about it - the only critique I could give is that I wished there was a little bit more. 


I'd give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment